Syrius Improvements

Having public nodes easily accessible is a must for mass adoption imo, having a prompt when initially launching Syrius is the easiest way to achieve this - but the list needs to be dynamic and changeable without updating Syrius.

Then the question is do you also make it the default node choice vs embedded? And if so which public node?

There isn’t a reference wallet to compare to that I know of that has an embedded node so it’s hard to compare, but the IOTA firefly wallet is somewhat comparable in feel and use case and it just auto connects to a node

Imo we have a Metamask VS Bitcoin-core old school wallet kind of situation. The Metamask people will go for the simpliest way, the later will want to decide how to setup theirs. Keep Syrius for power users, for everyone else, plug a public node by default. Same as Metamask where you can change your rpcs.

2 Likes

We can compare this situation to Bitcoin.

There’s Bitcoin Core, which basically forces users to run nodes unless they’re aware of how to manually connect to one.
And then there’s Electrum wallet, which suggests connecting to someone else’s node, for convenience.

I prefer Syrius leans more towards the Bitcoin Core run-your-own-infra style of operation. Other Zenon wallets can make their own suggestions.

We can include a list of public nodes but there are elements of trust and management that we need to address.
I’m concerned this can lead to centralization; everyone will be connecting to 0x’s infra.
Is anyone else even trying to load-balance this demand?
(My public node is offline due to resource limitations)

We’ve built enough good rapport within the community to trust certain entities to run infra and/or honestly inform users.

For example, if zenon.org hosted a list of verified public nodes, new participants would likely trust those options over some random person’s suggestion on Telegram.

4 Likes

Provide funding for community to run public nodes?

Good points. Maybe I’m a little conflicted because I don’t have any problems connecting to my own nodes.

Back in the day, 2013ish… does anyone remember how btc nodes were handled? Were there public RPCs for people to use? I do remember needing the BTC core wallet and I synced up back then. I don’t remember spending the time looking for a public node.

I think we have a 12 - 24 month window to really start gaining adoption. Until we get more adoption I would be willing to do “things” that make adoption EZ.

Did anyone use the Terra Station wallet? Set aside it was Luna… The UI/UX was very good and easy. There was no mention of node, syncing, or any of that. You installed it, setup the Seed and it just worked. My business partner who does not know anything about how crypto works, could use it. He would not be able to sync syrius. No patience and/or ability to trouble shoot a single issue. In fact, he does not know what a node is, would not go to a site to find one, or enter telegram to ask about one. He represents 95% of crypto.

If we want adoption I think we need to consider some trade offs.

4 Likes

I am not aware of any pu lic rpc in 2013. It was the Bitcoin forks ride and we were all running btc forks nodes meaning - pretty much like Bitcoin-core - they were connecting to a bunch of IPs to initiate the sync and then sniffing for more nodes. ETH and Metamask brought the rpcs in, I think. If I remember correctly we had Electrum but it was not as used as it is today, nobody willing to trust a public node. Beside Electrum has a shit UX so it wasn’t attractive at all.

Offering a Syrius based power user experience and a normie one with built in rpcs by default (Bitcoin-core and Metamask) could do IF our Metamask equivalent is super giga simple. The average Joe will not bother learning. When our Joe will start understanding what is Zenon, he or she might even consider Syrius. But not at first.

2 Likes

Zenon.Org will add a few nodes.

3 Likes

I believe Syrius should be for everyone, no-coins and maxies alike: no-coiners will use public RPC community nodes and maxies will use the embedded full node.

For public nodes, we can implement a scoring algo for reliable nodes with some anonymization features (proxy/route requests, load balance & anonymize traffic, etc).

But everyone should be able to use the same wallet with a great UX suited for their own needs.

1 Like

What ZNN public RPC nodes does the community have? @0x3639 @mehowbrainz

2 Likes

Listings like this is also a form of inbound marketing.

1 Like

I have

go-zenon v0.0.6 = wss://my.hc1node.com:35998
go-zenon v0.0.5 = wss://secure.deeznnodez.com:35998

3 Likes

@sumamu @aliencoder @sol
Did a znn unwrap today.
After redeeming Unwrapped ZNN remained in unrecived transactions even though wallet was fully synced. Changing to hc1 node didnt help.
Restarted syrius, then it arrived.
Its a weird glitch. Never had this issue with receiving staking rewards
why wud this be any different?

Syrius wallet is a complex software with hundreds of thousands of lines of code. Without providing debug logs, I’m unable to help.

How to get the debug log? maybe i cud create it when i unwrap next time

Vilkris fixed this issue in the HyperCore One syrius repo.

It has not been pulled into the “official” repo.

4 Likes

Hey @sol , if aliens PR is accepted for 0.0.7 what are the HC1 teams plan for v0.1.0-rc.1?

Is it difficult to merge the releases?

I’ve added a section for community public nodes where users are able to connect if they want to skip the embedded node sync.

I believe this would be beneficial for new users entering the ecosystem.

From my own experience, I can tell you that new users do not want to wait 24-48h to fully sync the embedded node.

The hardcoded community nodes must be approved by 2 reviewers before they get into the codebase. This ensures that only “trusted” nodes will be available in Syrius. The first public node that I’ve integrated is hc1node from @0x3639:

wss://my.hc1node.com:35998

Can someone please test this feature? Thank you!

Download latest Syrius build for testing.

1 Like

I’m not a fan of this design decision. We could have at least leveraged a dynamic list instead of baking it into the client.

Me neither, but we need a simple solution.

It is the most straightforward way to add/remove nodes leveraging the Github review process.

We will definitely implement a better solution in the future, but at the moment we need a good UX to easily onboard users.

1 Like

I’ve added initial support for badges. You can check the notifications badge in the latest build.

1 Like