Alien Valley - One Project

The alien-valley team wants to improve a lot of things in the ZNN ecosystem. This improvements will come over time & it’s kinda hard to get rewards for all of them.

The alien valley team wants to become an intermediary in the AZ business, to ease access to developers to find funding. We were thinking to create one project with 5K / 50K and create a phase each month where we discuss the progress made in the last month. All contributors will be paid directly from the AVL vault & the alien-valley team will then request funding from AZ.

What do you think?

6 Likes

Sounds good. I would vote yes on that idea. Approving the proposal does not release the full funds. Each release requires individual approval. This just makes it easier to pay you for work that you justify each month.

I’m in full support!

3 Likes

I think it’s a fantastic idea. It will probably speed up all aspects of development and AZ. But it will also make it easier for some people to contribute and get paid.

4 Likes

Love the idea sounds very agile to me :wink:

3 Likes

This would allow me to purly concentrate on building instead of wasting time writing up proposals, especially if english is not your native language. There is some trust involved of course, but that’s the tradeoff for speeding things up. Definitely somethimg worth trying out, I’m for one wanting to participate if it goes through.

Btw, not sure if the lotr reference is a positive thing :thinking:

3 Likes

I agree w/ that :woman_facepalming:t3:. Fixed

1 Like

I am voting no on this one. While I agree with reducing friction I don’t like adding intermediaries and would prioritize transparency, community involvement, and pillar engagement. I think the current proposal system does force some level of transparency and community involvement. There is a lot of frustration in the system of not knowing what the core team is working on, this could become another instance of that if not managed carefully. The proposal process forces builders to think about their plan (I believe a lot of learning / reflection happens when you have to put a plan into words for others) and allows the community to weigh in + reduces the chance duplicate work is taking place. This also makes it easier for pillars which I would rather find a way to get them to engage more. The NFT idea for votes is an interesting one. Maybe a NFT for proposals and another for votes would incentivize both sides. Will check back here to see if others raise points I am missing but for now from it it’s a no.

3 Likes

Thank you for your feedback @sultanofstaking

Maybe we tried to solve too many things at once.
I also believe a lot in transparency (the whole TS SDK stuff), but I also received some feedback on the Alien Valley Telegram group that some developers might want to access funds in a more classic way (like a salary for example).

This whole process of creating proposals and having them signed is very hard. At the moment, no one has unlocked funds! The Alien Valley pillar has funds on stand-by to cover any upfront costs for external/future developers.

I’ve shared interest on improving the explorer. I have no idea how hard would that be. My idea would be to add an accelerator tab, where people can see individual pillar votes & such (both for pillar all votes as well as for a project all pillars votes on it)

At the moment I have the functionality as a prototype. I find i hard to request 100 ZNN for it. The effort is too much, but i still think we should have a way to finance it. This is were this proposal will come it.

Hope this will make you change your mind & answer some questions.
@vonsbak

1 Like

I agree that having proposals and phases pass has proven to be pretty cumbersome and the amount of “grooming” and begging needed may have disencouraged some people from applying - especially for smaller stuff. Most devs just want to build not be a salesman. For smaller tasks like bug fixes and small improvements to znnd, syrius, the explorer etc. I feel that the AZ process is too much and trying to force a small task into an AZ project is not optimal.

With that said we don’t know if the GitHub repositories even have a maintainer anymore - is anyone going to accept the PRs created by the community?

I assume Alien Valley would take all the financial risk of this arrangement? As in, the devs get paid but the risk of not getting the funds from AZ remains on Alien Valley?

And just a side note, I’m also working on a similar pillar votes functionality for zenon.tools - will be publishing the source code soon. It’s a shame there’s no source code for the official explorer.

1 Like

Re immediate funding there is an opportunity for someone to come up with a lending service.

Re side of work vs AZ proposal effort I would support this for “small” projects (would need to define that)

Re the pain of getting votes I would prefer something that encourages more voting activity vs less.

Apologies for brevity currently traveling but I may be more supportive if some guardrails were put around what could apply to this bucket.

I assume Alien Valley would take all the financial risk of this arrangement? As in, the devs get paid but the risk of not getting the funds from AZ remains on Alien Valley?

Exactly. This would offer an experience closer to past partnerships for devs.

With that said we don’t know if the GitHub repositories even have a maintainer anymore - is anyone going to accept the PRs created by the community?

No idea how to push upstream at the moment. I was thinking more of the lines of public projects, like SDK, zenon.tools, Zenon Accelerator Z TG channel, Plasma Bot, etc

And just a side note, I’m also working on a similar pillar votes functionality for zenon.tools - will be publishing the source code soon. It’s a shame there’s no source code for the official explorer.

I created a tweeter thread for this. It has 20 likes. Maybe it’ll spark some attention. I have a working PoC in the znn.cli. The output looks like this

$ node bin/cli.js accelerator.details f0fbcc9ec11f79175cc4f76956b406ac771478d891587e11ffdb2acbf4c0ba4f
Project Details
Alien Valley - One Project
A new phase will be created each month to access funds for the work done that month. Funds will be distributed to contributors accesing AZ through the Alien Valley Project. All work is welcomed.

Pillar Votes
no SultanOfStaking
abstain Zed
yes alien-valley.io
yes DCA
no Zayin
1 Like

Re the pain of getting votes I would prefer something that encourages more voting activity vs less.

Totally agree on this one. No idea how to spark interest, honestly. Maybe something resembling notifications? I can try to make that work, for pillar owners, if interest is there.

But I’ll like to get some funding for it and it’s a small enough project to not be worth the time to apply to AZ with it :wink::kissing_heart:

side of work vs AZ proposal effort I would support this for “small” projects (would need to define that)

I think the most unfortunate stuff is that you can’t unlock funds in an initial implied phase. If you have only 1 phase you can chose to finish everything upfront and ask for funds. This would solve it.

1 Like

Also voting no on this one, while I do appreciate the sentiment of speeding things up I don’t think its best addressed by something like this. Better off would be gathering funds/raising an ecosystem fund from outside than trying to be an intermediary.

Guys, I’m considering funding a wallet that can be used to pay developers for work. Then I would request reimbursement from A Z. Basically a lending service and I would take the risk of getting repaid. I would charge a small fee to handle this and take the risk of repayment.

I would ask a 3rd party (in the community) to verify the work performed to make sure the funding requested is appropriate for the work completed.

What do you think? I would also point my new Sentinel to this funding address to also provide continuous funding during the month.

So I would seed the wallet with ZNN. Move rewards from the Sentinel into this wallet. Pay devs for work. Seek reimbursement from A Z for that work and ask the community to verify the work before paying.