An open discussion about embedding GA events into SYRIUS desktop for marketing purposes

If we let go Google Analytics for the web <> syrius data capture / user sharing, we’d likely steer to experimenting if GA + Firebase can be matched by PostHog. If its features can compete, then we begin to checkoff all the checkboxes outlined above, and we’d rule PostHog the winner.

The only piece that would need to be completely re-engineered in Attribute would be the data pulling to showcase data publicly. As an alternative in the meantime I’d be able to grant users temporary access to the backend while Attribute is re-adapted for PostHog.

Attribute’s link building tech would remain the same as UTM parameters work for both GA and PostHog. This means that even though marketers wouldn’t get the data publicly yet, they’d be able to start promoting zenon.org landing pages with Attribute links (with no attribution given for syrius in-app events, until the alterations are made to the wallet, tested, merged).

Small but healthy setback, given that the proposed pivots please the majority of the community.

1 Like

What’s really being built here, and it’s something I told via DM to @sol: an affiliate network exclusive to promoting Zenon, where any marketer can participate and be automatically paid for campaign performance (given that we can build the payment layer by first proving that the bot/gaming/faking problem is controlled).

Thank you and I appreciate you diving into the conversation. @sol answered your questions better than I could’ve had :slight_smile:

Fully agree with George. I wouldn’t use this modded version of syrius.

To add some color, I think tracking user behavior in the wallet goes completely against BTC ethos. The wallet is supposed to work for the user, not the marketing campaign. Having a wallet sending data back to google analytics for tracking is completely the opposite of people having sovereign control over their finances running their own node, own wallet without leaking data to untrusted third parties.

There is nothing stopping you forking the wallet and adding the telemetry but i’m not sure why any end user would want to download that version. I just think this is completely off brand for Zenon and we should certainly not make this change for the main syrius repo.

Edit: saw you later post on not using google. I still think telemetry for affiliate marketing purposes clashes with the Zenon brand, even if google isn’t used for analytics

2 Likes

There would be an option to switch off tracking.

Tracking user behavior is critical to improve UX and foster adoption. It’s a tradeoff between idealism and helping achieve the main goal of zenon: getting more users. You can’t have it both ways.

1 Like

The ethos where everyone can track everyone else’s transactions publicly over the web? I think you’re mixing up BTC with Monero here.

Basically the argument for some has turned to:

Make transactions available on a public ledger (with addresses) = yes, good.

Make other behaviours public (without addresses) = no, bad.

This makes no sense.

2 Likes

A forked ZenonORG marketing version, with a GA alternative, is the best solution imo.

2 Likes

Agreed, this discussion seems to lead nowhere and the takes are becoming more and more uninformed and illogical.

After some research I think the best way is to integrate Wallet Connect into Syrius wallet.

One can create a web app (e.g. attribute.me) or whatever and the interactions with Syrius (requesting signatures, etc.) can be done via Wallet Connect. Basically you give permissions for that app to track you by pairing it with your Syrius wallet.

This way nothing that tracks you will be integrated into Syrius and it’s up to the web app to track the user and manage conversions - you just need to connect and give the requested permissions.

2 Likes

I have used Wallet Connect and like the user experience a lot. It is very easy to use.

1 Like

Making people install a third party app first before installing syrius adds a lot of friction and thus pretty much restricts the tracking to existing WC users. Also potentially only allows tracking wallet downloads but not e.g. delegation on a per address level?

EDIT: WC apparently does not require an additional install but its unclear how it affects the user journey in the use case outlined by OP

@aliencoder do you object to having a community fork of the official SYRIUS wallet that runs some analysis with opt-in “tracking”? Sounds like this is something @georgezgeorgez might support too. Not sure about the other devs.

This statement below is hard to ignore.

1 Like

With all due respect but nobody has to approve forks thats kinda the whole point of decentralized open source development: allow to cater to different needs with different versions

True. Just wondering if this idea will create an issue we are not thinking about.

2 Likes

Do you know how WalletConnect works in the first place? DYOR and everything will be more clear to you.

PS: you don’t need to install anything, it’s frictionless (interact with a web app) and allows tracking every on-chain action

It will create a very big issue: confusion for new users on which wallet it’s “safe” to download.

Instead of focusing on wallet “forks” and other non-sense, think about how Wallet Connect can solve all the issues without adding tracking to Syrius.

@cryptocheshire I understand you’re pushing an agenda, but please think before typing! We’re in the same boat!

5 Likes

My intentions aren’t to be disruptive. I have no agenda other than to support people like @mehowbrainz who should be enabled as much as possible.

I’ll leave it up to him to assess if Wallet Connect allows to track the necessary events.

Thank you for pointing out my potential misunderstanding about WC’s nature, I was under the impression it requires additional installation before researching it further. Will keep reading up on it then

Thanks for all the feedback, I will be studying available options and coming back with an assessment as to which are valid and which aren’t. From hindsight, the onboarding user experience may be tarnished with some of the proposed ideas, or they outright may not at all be what’s required here. I will do my best to try to validate them. If they work then great – otherwise I’ll have to fallback on original ideas. This shouldn’t be the end of the performance marketing vision, but could very well be if some in the community decide to alienate the needs for a data-driven marketing framework.

The ZenonOrg team is however disappointed with many of the irrational opinions shared throughout this debate. It expected much more from the proclaimed openness of the project. Calling forks as non-sense when a viable full solution with WC hasn’t been validated yet, is actually non-sense in itself.

The brand has invested quite a bit into the Zenon ecosystem with liquidity, its Pillars and investment in my employment and development of the Zenon.Org brand. It also expected a much more rational outlook on the problem it’s trying to solve for the greater good of adoption and AZ funds. Thank you to all supporters and rational minds.

4 Likes

A rational solution is the only solution, one that aligns both with the vision of this project and the needs of a data-driven marketing framework - that’s why I provided rational arguments and a viable alternative.

• Why built-in tracking is bad? No comment.
  • Why wallet forks are non-sense? They will confuse new users, better make a separate wallet that has built-in tracking.
  • Why is WalletConnect a better idea? Check the answer below:

Let’s understand how WalletConnect will fit into this marketing framework:

1. Integrate WC protocol into Syrius and create a tab where users can manage their WC connections (e.g. similar to TrustWallet or any other WC enabled wallet)

2. Create a WebApp on a sub-domain e.g. marketing.zenon.org where users can login with WC (Syrius either needs to be listed in the Desktop section or users can copy the QR code and paste it into Syrius)

A web page will always be easier to interact with than a desktop app. Take into account that Syrius is no ordinary crypto wallet, it’s pretty complex and can be an overwhelming experience for a regular user

2.1 If they have Syrius installed, they will open it using the WC URI
2.2 If they don’t have Syrius installed, they will be redirected to a page where you’ll be able to track their download: (e.g. check out how Zerion wallet works: Zerion – Smart & Social Web3 Wallet)

1. Connect to their ZNN address and give WC permissions to sign. In this step you’ll be able to add and listen to this address for on-chain events (stake, delegate, etc.)

2. It’s even possible to create push notifications like “Hey, if you delegate to this Pillar now, …” https://docs.walletconnect.com/2.0/api/push

3. Even more complex stuff that can go beyond this marketing framework: https://docs.walletconnect.com/2.0/api/chat

WalletConnect is more than a simple add-on. In my opinion it will add value by opening Zenon to the Web3 public.

10 Likes